The school bells rang again on Sunday afternoon, November 6, 2011 as alumni from the Haddock School gathered on the grounds of our church for their first ever class reunion. On property now owned by our church, the original Haddock Academy was constructed in 1907 and opened its doors the following year for students in grades 1-12. In 1934 Jones County received federal funds to remodel and expand the existing building into a premier primary school and model junior high school. Beginning in 1948 the Haddock School provided education for elementary students of our area until 1967 in its final year when it housed middle school students in sixth and seventh grades. When the school closed, Cherokee Products, Inc. purchased the school property and would later donate the property to the Haddock Baptist Church in 1976. The church transformed the old school building into a sanctuary and the completed building was celebrated on Homecoming and Dedication Day on October 29, 1978. After our current sanctuary was completed in May 2005 the former church sanctuary/school building was renovated for space for our youth center.
It was great to welcome back the former Haddock students along with their friends and family this past week. Our church appreciates all the members who were involved in working to make the old building look its best for this special day. Thanks also to the alumni and the work of the Jones County History and Heritage Committee for the gift of the historical marker. Most of all, thanks be to God whose loving and gentle hands have been present on this sacred site to teach and shape young minds past, present, and future.